Green Sea Shipbuilding Establishment

Thursday, May 31, 2007

MAURETANIA TO JOIN THE FLEET!







Earlier this year, I was invited to participate in an art show at a local gallery. Among other things, I built a 77-inch (1inch= 10feet) cardboard model of the Cunard ocean liner MAURETANIA of 1939. The model was made of raw cardboard with no fiberglass and was not intended to be radio controlled.

However, I wanted the option of doing an R/C Mauretania if my cardboard one sold at the gallery, so I built ANOTHER hull and prepared it for fiberglassing.

Well, the model ended up not selling, and I found myself with 2 hulls-one complete (but not fiberglassed) and one bare un-fiberglassed hull. I threw away the bare hull, and turned my attention to converting the 'art show' model.

Remember how I used epoxy spray and a foam-core bottom to convert my QUEEN ELIZABETH to R/C even WITHOUT fiberglassing? Well, I did that again for the MAURETANIA, since she was already assembled and it would have been too much trouble to fiberglass her.

Then I simply added a motor mount, prop shaft, rudder and radio/ESC and BAM- a new R/C Cunard ocean liner!

The ship herself probably took a couple of weeks of free time to build and the conversion to R/C took 2-3 nights. She embarks on her builder's trials on Friday night, June 1st. The Maiden Voyage is scheduled for Saturday morning, June 2nd. Wish us luck!

Barrett Hochhaus
diamondback78@hotmail.com

3 Comments:

At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, that ship looks great !!!! keep up the good work , ever going to make a s.s. united states model ??? its the worlds fastest liner , thanks ,ed

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Barrett Hochhaus said...

Thank you very much Ed! I hope to have some nice voyage pics later this morning.

There are so many great ships that I haven't had time to build yet and sadly, the U.S. is one of them. I can only fit so many in my home LOL. If you look on the right side of the main page, you'll see I DO have the S.S. AMERICA. Click on the link. Thanks again for coming!

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok barrett , send a couple my way ,i will take good care of them . i think you do a great job, ed :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home